Saturday, September 8, 2012

2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er 3 Alloy review


First off to be fair, I have not been on a mountain bike at Sansom Park in about 3.5 months. I rode a Carbon Scalpel in Park City, Utah. My first impression - unimpressed. I really wanted to love it. I wanted it to take my breath away. When I rode the 2013 Cannondale carbon Scalpel 29'er 1 - Reynolds Carbon wheels, Lefty, decked out with all of the bells and whistles I loved the weight and the look of it. I have always loved the way the Lefty rides and the 2013 redesign of the Lefty is no different. But this post is not about the Lefty, this is about the bike as a whole. The Carbon left me wanting, wanting a more flick able bike, more stable bike, a bike I could carve corners with.  I felt none of this on the $7,600 model in Utah. It felt flimsy and awkward to me (Carbon wheels w Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires?). Lefty was amazing as always. - see photo of Carbon Scalpel I rode 


Skip in time to this week. My first time back at Sansom on a demo 2013 Scalpel 29'er Alloy 3 w Lefty. I rode Joel’s but didn't even finish a race loop - cut out before the dam drop. I hated it. I was hoping that maybe in Texas it would ride different on our trails as Sansom is WAY more difficult than any of the trails in Utah I rode. I felt like I had to over correct way too much to make the bike do what I wanted, hit my pedals a lot, just not enjoyable whatsoever. And those tires... those damn Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires that were run tubeless. I have never had a good experience with these tires... ever... on any bike. They felt like they were going to roll off the rim at higher pressure. Lower pressure was even worse. Great traction in a straight line... but that's about it. I had no cornering confidence whatsoever with these tires.

Next day I rode my tried and true Origin-8 Steel frame 29'er hard tail that I have reviewed previously. I still have it and I still love it. It has a 2" shorter wheelbase than the scalpel in the same size and a 1 degree steeper head tube angle. This makes my origin-8 handle like a 26" bike on crack. All the speed of a 29'er with the handling of a 26". I rode 1 full lap at Sansom that day, even the new Lone Wolf stuff without Joel’s Loop. Bottom line... I love my Origin-8 Scout 29'er. Well, until today.

This morning I decided to give the 2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er 3 Alloy one more chance, but this time I am going to give it the best chance possible. 1 - I put MY tires on - 29x2.2 ft 29x2.0 RR Kenda Slant 6 - ran Tubeless. I put my grips on - Origin-8 knock off of Ergon grips. I double checked the air pressure in the Lefty and rear shock. The weather this morning was amazing. Cold front rolled in, brought a little rain so it left Sansom a little tacky and kept the dust down. I figured if this bike does not ride well today it never will. 

Before I tell you about the ride - Our new Dirt Rag magazine came in yesterday with a review of the Carbon Scalpel 29'er - they raved about it. They said with the right Body English it goes wherever you put it. I thought to myself - Body English, maybe that's what I'm missing. With my Origin-8 with such a steep head tube angle and short wheelbase I just turn it and it goes, not much Body English needed. So on to one more chance on the Scalpel.

I unloaded the bike at the trail, checked the air pressure in my tires - 28 psi ft, 32 psi RR - just like my Origin-8. I rode with a couple people who were in front, gave me someone to chase. The ride today was TOTALLY different than the ride earlier in the week. The bike flowed, the slant 6 tires were predictable and with the right 'body English' it flew through Sansom. Climbed like a banshee, descending was a blast, before the damn drop I stopped to raise my saddle a bit for Joel’s - perfect. A little later I let some more air out of my tires - not sure how much, I was on the trail - Perfect. I rode to catch up with the group and everything just clicked. It was like I had been riding this bike for years. I found personally I like the rear shock in the locked/pro pedal position which is stiffer than most pro pedal today. I did hit my pedals occasionally but nothing I wouldn't have done otherwise. It carved around the corners, the switch backs were so much fun. The climbs sucked as they always do but it was completely doable, even with the loose rock the bike hooks up and just goes. It WANTS to climb, it WANTS to go faster, and with the right body English... it was a totally different bike. I am thoroughly impressed. This is the bike I expected it to be in the first place. I loved it so much; I rode 1 full lap - green, blue, red (minus new lone wolf) at Sansom and 1 green loop to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't it was the tires and me. I am sold. 

Damnit... I'm going to have a buy a new bike now. Look for my origin-8 on sale in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment