Monday, June 21, 2010

Bike Test - 2010 GT Sensor 1.0 - 26" wheel

I had the privilege of going out to park City Utah to test ride as many bikes as I wanted. I will review the ones that are the most usable for our area - Fort Worth, TX. I didn't focus on larger bikes because, well, there is no real place to ride them around here. Video Test ride at end of review.

So, The GT Crew didn't have any 2011 spec'd Sensors to test, so I got to try out a 2010. The design has not changed between this year and next. However, the specs have changed. GT is utilizing SRAM's new 2x10 drivetrains from X.7 all the way up to XX - 2x10 review later. My ride was spec'd with tried and true Shimano XT 9spd components. I prefer SRAM, but Shimano just works.

Frame - The Sensor Frameset is designed around their I-Drive (Independent Drive-train) system. If you are unfamiliar with I-Drive, check out this link here - http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Independent-Drivetrain  Simply, the I Drive isolates the drivetrain from the suspension movement. This adds a little weight, but what you get is one of the best pedaling and suspension platforms known to mankind. The bottom bracket rotates forward as the suspension moves backward. I never feel the I Drive working (as far as pedals moving), but I always feel and enjoy the effects it has on my riding enjoyment on any and every trail.

Now, GT is not known for super light rigs, although for 2011 they reduced the weight of their GT Carbon Zaskar frame by a whopping 300 grams! GT Is known for dependable, no nonsense, reliable bikes that use technology proven again and again. But the GT Sensor 1.0 came in on the scales around 27 pounds, not bad for a 120mm (5 inch) travel bike front and back.

I got to ride this rig on the Mid Mountain, Holly's and Ambush Trails in Park City Utah. The climbing was bar none one of the easiest bikes to pedal uphill. The Sensor gobbles up miles and miles of uphill jeep road, even if my fort worth lungs say no, don't do it again. The bike felt great right from the start. Now personally, I would have widened the handlebars and changed the tires from the Kenda 2.1 nevegals to some Kenda Small block 8 2.3". I felt while flying down Holly's rugged, rocky terrain the tires were a little choppy, like I didn't feel the grab that has been raved about for years. The handlebars were a little narrow for my liking, especially at downhill speeds, but climbing was a dream. I don't personally ride enough trails that are that tight to cut the bars down smaller than 27".

I will say this, both GT bikes, Sensor 1.0 and Force Carbon Expert (review next, also an I-Drive) left my hands hurting from riding on the rocky terrain, The forks and rear suspension were setup well, the grips need to be changed to Oury for my liking.

Now between the Force and Sensor, I did like the Sensor better, the Force adds an extra inch of travel front and back, has a FOX Talas fork and a full carbon frame. The Sensor was redesigned with a slightly lower suspension ratio which you really feel. the 5" Sensor's travel feels like it goes a lot longer way than the Force's 6" travel which felt you went through a little too quickly.

All in all, if the bars weren't cut, the grips a little thicker and tires changed. The GT Sensor could very well be my next personal rig. Miles and miles of smiles.

The GT Sensor comes in 4 26" models and 2 29'er models (were not available for test ride)
Sensor 4.0 - $1300 - Shimano Alivio 9spd drivetrain, Suntour Raidon LOD Air fork, X-Fusion O2 R shock
Sensor 3.0 - $1700 - Shimano Deore 9spd drivetrain, RS Recon Silver TK Solo Air fork, X-Fusion O2 RL Shock
Sensor 2.0 - $2500 - SLX/X.7 2x10 drivetrain, RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air Fork, Fox Float RL Shock
Sensor 1.0 - $3000 - SLX/XTR/X.7 2x10 drivetrain, Fox F RL Fit Fork, Fox FLoat RP23 shock

Sensor 29'er 2 -$2200 - Shimano Alivio 9spd drivetrain, marzocchi 44 TST2 29'er fork, Fox Float R shock
Sensor 29'er 1 - $2800 - X.7/X.9 2x10 drivetrain, Fox F29 RLC FIT 15QR fork FOX Float RL shock

Here is the Video of the test ride on the Sensor 1.0. Forgive the camera angle. I left the mount on my mongoose at home. I ziptied the camera to my helmet. I thought I had it pointed higher. 5 minutes long.



Brian Buell
Owner
Bonzai Cycle Werx
www.bonzaicyclewerx.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brian,

    I've purchased a GT Sensor 1.0 (and I have an unlimited budget) above all others.

    When you actually think about the reality of "marketing hype" and byiss reviews (based around what company/brand spends more advertising dollars with reviewers or what reviewer is in the pocket of certain brands)the GT iDrive does stand-up on it's true merritts....it delivers as said.

    Several rides under the belt now (coming off a Cannondale Rush and being able to ride Specialized, Trek, Giant and Lapierre) the GT was/is head and shoulders above the others.

    It pedals better and it handles overall better.

    When it came time to spend the money.....riding all these brands up and down a trail I know like the back of my hand the GT was/is the best all-a-rounder. To top it off....GT has (and still is) sticking with this design and has done so for the last 15 years. Yea sure they have modified it...but to only make it better. While other brands have "chopped and changed" their designs GT knew they were on the right path and just kept improving it. I think it's funny....brands like Lapierre are now including iDrive into their line-up under a four-bar-link design.

    Bottom-line.....you can't get a better full-suspension than a GT. If I had my Dream Bike....it would be a GT Sensor with 650B and a Cannondale Lefty.

    Thanks for you're efforts and sharing with us all your imputes.

    Matt





    ReplyDelete